CALL FOR PAPERS
Journal of Film And Video
Special Double Issue: Current Issues in Documentary Production & Studies
Guest editors: Ben Levin & George Larke-Walsh
Submission Deadline: December 1, 2013
Publication Date: Fall/Winter 2015
We invite articles that discuss production styles, aesthetics and consumption of contemporary documentary. We are especially interested in articles that address the following:
- Contemporary documentary screenwriting (creating stories through voice-over narratives, etc.).
- Collaborative authorship and potential power imbalances between filmmakers and subjects in these situations.
- Trends in narrative structuring through re-enactment and/or employing fictional tropes to create character types.
- Documentary fandom (reality TV stars and/or star directors) and its impact on contemporary documentary.
- We are also interested in articles that address the effects of new technologies ad new modes of funding, distribution, and marketing on the production of contemporary documentaries:
- How are newer image capturing devices (DSLR Cameras, cell phones, the Red camera, Black Magic cameras, etc.) affecting the conceptualization and production of documentaries?
- How have Kickstarter, Facebook, etc. changed the way documentaries are being funded? What are the implications of obtaining financing via the Internet?
- What is the impact of contemporary modes of distribution and marketing (YouTube, Netflix, Vimeo, Facebook, Webpages, Blogs, etc.) on documentary production and dissemination
- In addition, we are also interested in articles that discuss the teaching of contemporary documentary theory in the context of a documentary production program.
Submission guidelines available at the the Journal of Film and Video website.